Monday 23 September 2013

Ogden's Cigarettes - Footballers - T.D. Parry (Oswestry)


1898-1902
Footballers (various)
Ogden's Cigarettes
340+ cards

The other day I found the above card on eBay. Despite my interest in Welsh football, the card was unfamiliar to me. I decided to check Dave Thompson book, Half-Time, Football and the Cigarette Card 1890-1940. For collectors of original cigarette cards issued prior to 1940 it is an invaluable volume. Mine is well-thumbed, so much so that I must remind myself to get another copy from somewhere. I digress, on checking the book I found that the card wasn't listed. Dave Thompson omits rugby players from the lists of Ogden's cards and I wonder if he though T.D. Parry was a rugby player. But he was a Welsh international. Here's the biography from Who's Who of Welsh International Soccer Players by Gareth M. Davies and Ian Garland:

PARRY, THOMAS DAVID
Born Oswestry, 1880; dies Warrington, Cheshire, 17 August 1946.
Half back/Inside forward
7 caps (Oswestry United) v Scotlamd, Ireland, England 1900; v Scotland , England, Ireland 1901; v England 1902, 3 goals
Career: Oswestry United 1896-1905
     Tom Parry was a brother of Maurice of Liverpool fame and they appeared together in four international matches. In his seven appearances for Wales, Tom faced England on three occasions - a sign of the FAW selectors' confidence in his abilities. While Maurice pursued a career in football, Tom turned down all offer to become a professional. His importance to the Oswestry cause was seen in the team's decline after he gave up playing.
     Parry followed his father's profession as a leather tanner and studied at Lamb's Leather College in London. He was in business in Warrington from 1914 to his death.
Honours: Welsh Cup winner 1901

2 comments:

  1. If you go on to the cigarette card collectors forum and contact a collector on there called Ogdens cards I am sure he will be able to help, this man is the go to bloke for anything and i mean anything to do with ogdens cards

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment, though it will not appear straight away, as I will need to authorize it.