Wednesday 11 December 2013

Clevedon Confectionery - CLE-170-1/CLZ-10 Famous Footballers (2)


1961
CLE-170-1/CLZ-10 Famous Footballers
Clevedon Confectionery
50

Bob Thomas has sent in an interesting photograph relating to this collection...
I thought I'd send you an image of a card I have. It's the original artwork for the Brian Walsh card, and measures 76 x 135 mm. It looks like it was painted on a piece of reused card. I bought it on eBay. I have the following information, if it's of use.
These drawings were painted by the late Stan Jones of Crosby, Liverpool. These were painted for Clevedon Confectionery Ltd of Blackpool, from which Clevedon printed the set of 50 ‘Famous Footballers’. Stan and Vera Jones owned a Sweet and Tobacconist shop and stocked Clevedon Sweets. Stan offered to draw and paint a set of footballers for Clevedon and in 1961 the set was released as a free insert (to become collectors cards) in each packet of sweets.
I was told that this artwork is the only surviving example left of the original artwork.
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment, though it will not appear straight away, as I will need to authorize it.